Saturday, May 6, 2017

Suspect kills himself after gun battle on I-44 near Glenstone closes all lanes

(From the Springfield Police Department)

The Springfield Police Department was dispatched to a rolling disturbance at about 6:30 p.m. Friday that initially started on northbound 65. 

It was reported that an unknown suspect in a vehicle had threatened a victim in another vehicle with a weapon and then fired multiple shots at that vehicle. The victim was not injured. 

The suspect then began traveling westbound on I-44. Police located the suspect vehicle near I-44 and Kansas Expressway when it turned to go return eastbound on I-44. 

Police made a car stop on the suspect vehicle just east of Glenstone on I-44 when they heard a gunshot and saw the suspect’s car window break. There was a brief standoff, and the SPD’s Special Response Team responded to the scene with the Bearcat. 

All east and westbound lanes of I-44 were closed for approximately 45 minutes. Officers then determined that the suspect was deceased due to an apparent self-inflicted gunshot. Both westbound lanes and one eastbound lane has reopened as the investigation continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment