Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Springfield police officer pays tribute to father, an Oklahoma trooper killed on duty in 1990

(From the Springfield Police Department)

This past weekend our Officer Kevin Grundy went to Miami, Oklahoma to honor his father, Trooper Duane Grundy, during a wreath ceremony. Trooper Grundy was struck and killed by a vehicle on April 11, 1990. Officer Grundy remembers his father in a message below.

"It’s hard to say what I want and fully grasp the impact a father can have on a young man's life. I was 10 when he died. For me, I didn’t get as many years with my dad as others but it helped shape who I am. The biggest gift my father gave me was the gift of his name. That might sound silly to some but to me, it carried with a legacy.

You see my father served in the military as well as in the role of a Law Enforcement Officer. He chose to love his family, serve his community, was known for his strong faith in Christ and humor while working.










I learned more about my father after his death than I ever knew before. He wore a Mickey Mouse watch at work and the second hand was Mickey's head that moved up and down. During traffic stops or other calls he would ask Mickey questions, often conveying that “well Mickey said yes” or “Mickey agreed with me so...”. He was known to be light-hearted and enjoyed life.

At his funeral, I remember the line of cars that stretched for miles and the people who attended, filled the local civic center. One man came up to me at his funeral and told me how my father had arrested him and their conversation on the way to jail changed his life forever.







That taught me something about him. Everyone deserves a chance and even if one day you’re being arrested, there is no reason tomorrow can’t be the day you change your life for the better.

He gave me his name...it’s not just some random letters, it’s my identity. That’s the legacy I strive to keep and continue to make sure I am worthy to bear it with honor.

Today was a day of remembering the impact my father had on so many even though it’s nearly 30yrs later."


No comments:

Post a Comment