Thursday, December 6, 2018

Gray Elementary fourth grade teacher named state Outstanding Elementary Math Teacher

(From Springfield Public Schools)

Cary Sikes, a fourth-grade teacher at Gray Elementary School and SPS Math CDC chairman, was named Outstanding Elementary Math Teacher by the Missouri Council of Teachers of Mathematics. He received his award on Nov. 30 in Columbia, Missouri, at the MCTM Annual Conference.

"I work hard in my classroom to develop lifelong mathematicians," said Sikes. "I love math and I work tirelessly to develop that love in my students. My greatest wish is that students will leave my classroom feeling ready to tackle any problem."



Sikes was one of six educators who were recognized across Missouri as Outstanding Educators, but he alone was recognized as the top elementary teacher committed to teaching mathematics.

"This is a big award for a teacher, and only one receives this award in the entire state of Missouri," said Catherine Castillo, coordinator of 21st century numeracy. "It's a huge honor for Cary from this organization."

No comments:

Post a Comment