Friday, April 7, 2017

Teacher of the Year finalists named at Springfield Public Schools

(From Springfield Public Schools)

Five Springfield Public Schools teachers have been named finalists for the 2017-2018 Teacher of the Year. Selected from a pool of 77 nominations, all five will be recognized Monday, April 17, during the Teacher Appreciation Banquet. Held at the Ramada Oasis, the banquet is hosted by Foundation for Springfield Public Schools.

The 2017-2018 Teacher of the Year winner will be announced during the banquet and will then be eligible to compete at the regional level. Regional winners advance to a statewide competition.
Finalists
Betsy Cannella, art teacher, Glendale High School
"Teachers should be a guide for students; a facilitator that can allow them to explore opportunities to create success while engaging their talents and giving them a space to discover their identities. A teacher should be the one that inspires their progress, not dictates their journey."
Daniel Gutierrez, vocal music teacher, Reed Academy
"In education, many tend to focus on test scores but they must understand that test scores will improve as character improves.  Great teaching comes from great human experiences; motivation, flexibility, and humility are what make teachers successful." 
Jenny Talburt, fourth grade teacher, Pershing Elementary School
 "The best way for me to serve my students, their families and my community is to 
engage them with enriching, memorable learning experiences by building solid relationships, offering choice and a blended approach of hands-on learning in a technology rich classroom, to differentiate to meet my students' individual and unique needs and to prepare them for the 21st century."
Gretchen Teague, communication arts teacher, Central High School
 "I need to be what I want my students to become. I expect them to be creative and curious. I expect them to set goals for their own learning and to be leaders of other learners. 
I expect their learning to be chaotic, full of wrong turns and setbacks.  I expect learning to be heartfelt and rewarding." 
Kevin Zimmerman, art teacher, Harrison Elementary School
 "If I can make a positive connection with a student, I may earn their trust. Their trust is a willingness to invest in me, which is an investment in the content I teach in 
art or the strategies I coach at practice. Once that connection is made, everything else will follow. When every single child feels like they are my favorite, I have done my job."

No comments:

Post a Comment