Monday, July 9, 2018

Eastbound I-44/Pickerel Creek Bridge replacement west of Springfield starts next week

(From MODOT)

Interstate 44 drivers can expect narrowed lanes and possible delays in the eastbound direction at Pickerel Creek (Mile Marker 64.2) west of Springfield starting the week of July 16 when a bridge replacement project begins, the Missouri Department of Transportation said.

From July 16 until mid-September, much of the work will take place in the median of I-44 with only nighttime lane closings on eastbound I-44. The night work will occur from 7 p.m. until 5 a.m. Crews will build a new bridge in the median of I-44 for eastbound traffic.

Starting in mid-September, eastbound traffic will be reduced to one lane and shifted to the new I-44 median bridge. Crews will then tear down and replace the existing eastbound I-44 bridge.

During the second phase of the project, drivers can expect major delays on eastbound I-44 as traffic will merge into one lane. Motorists are urged to consider alternate routes until December when the project is completed. If major delays are detected eastbound, I-44 traffic will be diverted to Missouri Route 266 which parallels I-44.

The existing Pickerel Creek bridge has deteriorated to the point that replacement is the best option. The bridge in recent years has been in constant need of repair with frequent lane closings to complete the work.

Once the bridge replacement project is complete, there will be a wider eastbound I-44 bridge. MoDOT engineers made the decision to build a wider bridge to reduce the impacts to I-44 traffic. Also, the wider eastbound bridge will be used to handle traffic in the future when the westbound I-44 bridge over Pickerel Creek is replaced. However, there is no timeframe for replacing the westbound bridge.

No impacts are expected for westbound I-44 during this project.

The prime contractor is Hartman and Company of Springfield.

The total project cost is $3.4 million.

The project is scheduled for completion by mid-December 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment